Wednesday 10 June 2020

Bonus Posting - I Never Meant To Be Cruel

Hi, I notice that a couple of comments about last week’s blog (‘Definitely The Face For Radio’) accused me of being cruel and insensitive when I suggested that Susan Carter had the ideal face for radio. It was also suggested that it was not nice to illustrate the blog with a photo of Charlotte Martin, who plays Susan.


Let me try to put things in perspective. You have to remember that I was writing about how I imagine Susan Carter looks and, in my mind, she isn’t the sort of person I would want for a neighbour (or a relative, come to that). Be honest; she is a total busybody and a gossip, who almost invariably gets the wrong end of the stick and jumps to the wrong conclusion. Don’t get me started!


It is a tribute to Charlotte Martin’s acting ability that she can inspire such feelings and the last thing I would want to do is to insult her appearance - it is my vision of Susan that I vent my spleen upon, not Charlotte, who I have no doubt is a very nice person.


I do wonder if the fact that Susan can provoke such emotions in me is because Charlotte has a PhD in psychology and is a Senior Research Fellow and obviously knows which buttons to push. Whatever, it obviously works, as there are times when I find myself shouting at the radio (such as last week, when she said “I can’t abide gossip” and made poor Neil say sorry for daring to suggest that she is a gossip).


We must not let ourselves get real life and fantasy mixed up, and I will continue to bang my head against the wall whenever Susan (or any other character, come to that) comes out with something that makes me see red, but please rest assured that I have nothing but admiration for all cast members - yes, even those (and there are quite a few) whose characters drive me insane!


No comments:

Post a Comment